5s - Make Your Workplace Productive
Good housekeeping is always the 1st step on your Lean Journey but the 5S process is far more than just simply housekeeping.
The 5s principles are about setting up your environment to be efficient, repeatable and also safe. Think about it, things aren't just laying around, cords aren't spread across the floor you're certainly far less likely to trip over them!
But it's more than that again, it's the 1st step on your lean journey towards greater efficiency, that's why before we do anything else, we get ready, we implement 5s as a habit within the organisation.
The 5 steps are:
- Sort - Clearly distinguish needed items from unneeded and eliminate the latter
- Straighten - Keep the needed items in the correct place to allow for easy and immediate retrieval
- Shine - Keep the workplace neat & tidy (and SAFE!)
- Standardise - The method by which 'Sort',' Straighten' and 'Shine' are made habitual
- Sustain - Maintain the established procedures
Let's have a look at some of the things a simple 5s program can bring to your organisation.
It Increases Productivity
- It will reduce downtime at start ups where you have to go look for everything, it's already there!
- It well certainly reduce your change over times, which could be further improved with SMED activity
- Each of which means you spend more time producing and you know what you produce it through the plant quicker!
- It introduces standardisation, so everyone does the same thing in the same way, that becomes habit and it slips into day to day life, consistency feeds quality!
- It simplifies the employees work environment and as we all know people enjoy simple! so happy employees
- Happy Employees are more engaged and so more focused and that results in reduced errors and defects!!
- By only having what you need where you need it your inventory is reduced - lower cost holdings
- Safety is improved so less costs associated with worker related injuries
- reduces scrap (remember those consistent processes?) and so reduces production costs
Why not give Many Caps Consulting a call to discuss further.
How it Works
Define Your Business Goal
Agree The Outcomes
Why Choose Our Service
Get In Touch
If you need any support in developing or improving your business then click here to make an appointment and find out how we can help you Make Things, Better
You can also call John on 0211649739 to set up a meeting