The Daily Check In
The Daily Check in is pretty much exactly what it sounds like, its a check in session where daily schedules, activities and issue alerts are shared between the team so everyone starts on the same page each day. The meeting should last no more than 5 minutes, 10 minutes at the most!
There is no agenda for this meeting and you shouldn't be trying to 'fix' anything here, you can take those away and fix them, it's really an administrative session, it's just a catch up so don't waste time sitting down, just keep standing while you have the session.
This meeting has a range of benefits:
- For a start your team will actually see each other every day, just the benefit of this along is huge, think about your whole team being on the same page all the time and they will be a closer team.
- Everyone knows who is in / out each day and what everyone is really working on, it wouldn't be the 1st time I heard someone say they had been working on something all day that actually was no longer needed.
- Think about the number of emails that will not be required because your team knows that they will see each other in the next 24hrs? I know how many times I was on an email chain that went through 20+ emails to get something sorted that a 60 second face to face chat would solve, plus there is far less risk of the actual meaning getting across face to face than in an email, how many times has someone read an email and taken the wrong inflection from the words?.. these can be avoided here.
- How about those interruptions during the day for the little admin topics or the 5 min hallway chats with Bob, then Jenny and don't forget to touch base with Chris as well... no need you'll see them all at The Daily Check In.
Every group find more and more benefits over and above these and once you start these you will be hooked on them.
Reason's Not to Catch Up
There are are very few reasons that you should not have the catch up, in fact It's a pretty once sided list
- The team are so spread out in location and / or time zones that even a conference call wont work then yes perhaps you should not have it.
- Some Team members are out of the office : just have the meeting without them, if they can call in then that's fantastic but not required, they can catch the next one, it'll be along in 24hrs.
- You have another meeting scheduled: it's 5-10 mins at the same time every day.. don't schedule meetings at this time.
- You are just to busy.. really? to busy to get on the same page as your team, ensure communication is clear and close out minor issues that would other wise hang around or cause problems for the team. Sorry this one certainly doesn't fly.
It may take you a few weeks to get into the rhythm of these meetings and to feel the benefit but once you do you will wonder why something so simple can do so much in both saving you time and improving your team's performance.
Get In Touch
If you need any support in developing or improving your meetings then click here to make an appointment and find out how we can help you Make Things, Better
You can also call John on 0211649739 to set up a meeting
© Many Caps Consulting Ltd | All Rights Reserved